Thomas Staniforth & Co. Sickle works at Hackenthorpe.
Elijah Farewell Staniforth was born March 26th, 1855 to Francis Staniforth and Elizabeth Armstrong. He was baptised on April 1st, 1855 at St. John's church in the Park district of Sheffield, Yorkshire. His father Francis was a Fork Maker, the son of Thomas Staniforth of Southey Green. We wrote an article on Joel Staniforth, one of Francis' brothers here, another brother George Staniforth emigrated to Wisconsin, USA.
On the 1861 Census, the family is residing on Norwich Street, Sheffield, Francis is 43 years old, and Elizabeth is 37, Elijah is 6.
In 1867 Francis Staniforth dies, leaving behind Elizabeth and their son Elijah.
By the time of the 1871 Census, Elizabeth is living with her widowed father, James Armstrong. James is 75 years old by this stage and his birthplace is Woddlesford. By this point Elizabeth is 37 and Elijah is 16.
On October 26th 1878, Elijah marries Elizabeth Wilson at Wath Upon Dearne.
By the time of the 1881 Census the couple are living at 92 Victoria Street, Swinton, Rotherham, Elijah is a 03 year old Coal Miner and his wife is now 23. John William Staniforth, a son is also in the household, less than a year of age.
By 1901, the couple are residing at 98 Victoria Street, Elijah is still working as an Underground Coal Miner, and his wife is now 43. The couple have five children in the household:
- Frederick Walter Staniforth, born 1884. Fred would go onto play professional football for Rotherham Main, Mexborough Town, Bristol City and Liverpool. He died in Bristol on May 23rd 1955.
- George Leonard Staniforth, he married Martha Bamford and had sons George Leonard Staniforth b1908 in Kilnhurst and John Staniforth b1913 Kilnhurst. He also had three daughters, Eveline Staniforth b1910, Phyllis Staniforth b1906 and Annie Mary Staniforth b1905. He died in Kilnhurst in 1948.
- Harold Staniforth, born 1890 in Kilnhurst, he married Annie Stirzaker and had two sons, Harold Staniforth b1925 and Cornelius Staniforth b1912. He also had two daughters, Phyllis b1928 and Irene b1919. Harold Staniforth Jr. married Doris Lythgoe in 1949 and had two sons Michael b1949 and Glyn born 1963, as well as two daughters Hazel b1956 and Janice b1958. Glyn lives in Barnsley.
- Cornelius Staniforth, born 1895 married Audrey M Whelpton and had a son Alan born 1956, and three daughters, Phyllis Staniforth b1928, Jean Staniforth b1941 amd Valerie Staniforth b1943. He passed away in 1955.
- Albert Staniforth, born 1898.
Another daughter, Phyllis Staniforth was later born in 1910.
Elijah Farewell Staniforth was buried in Kilnhurst on August 4, 1910.
Frederick Walter Staniforth
On the 1911 Census, his widowed wife Elizabeth is still living at 73 Victoria Street with her 22 year old son Harold working as a Coal Miner with 16 year old Cornelius and 13 year old Albert described as Coal Pit Labourers.