1835-1803, Liverpool & Sheffield, England

Thomas Staniforth was the son of Samuel Staniforth and Alethea Macro of Darnall Hall, Sheffield. He was born on the 27th of March, 1735 and he was baptised on the 7th of April. When Thomas was only thirteen years of age, his father died, and his mother only lived a further two years. He was then raised by his sister Elizabeth, and her husband John Travers Younge.

Seven months after his mother’s death, Thomas was sent to Liverpool to work under Mr. Charles Goore, a merchant and (at that time) future Lord Mayor. Thomas remained apprenticed to Charles until February 3rd, 1758 when he was aged 21. He then returned to Sheffield. Thomas bore a letter written by Mr. Goore to Mr. Younge in which he stated his satisfaction with his work.

Thomas obviously caught the attention of Mr. Goore's daughter, as on the 12th of June, 1760, Thomas Staniforth married Elizabeth Goore at St. Thomas' Church, Liverpool. The pair lived with the Goore family which stood in the Churchyard until the birth of their first child in 1761, they then relocated to a house of their own on Union Street, where they lived until 1774 when they moved to a house on Ranelagh Street.

It should be noted that in Frances Margery Hext's book, Staniforthiana, she makes mention of the Hull Staniforths visiting Thomas in Liverpool. On August 29th 1784, Mr. and Mrs. and two Miss Staniforths of Hull drank tea at the house on Ranelagh Street, remaining there till the 2nd of September. At the time of his death he had only one survivng son, Samuel Staniforth born 1769. He would also go onto become Lord Mayor of Liverpool.

Also on the 20th October 1787, Charles Staniforth of London visited Liverpool and was also entertained at Ranelagh Street.

In 1796 Thomas was chosen for the role of Bailiff, and the following year, he followed in his father in laws footsteps and was elected Lord Mayor of Liverpool.

Thomas passed away on the 15th of December, 1803 of a low fever which he was suffering from for several days. His wife was suffering from the same fever and the funeral was postponed due to the assumption that she would soon pass and there would be need for a double funeral. Mrs. Staniforth recovered however, and went onto survive another 18 years.