Thomas Staniforth & Co. Sickle works at Hackenthorpe.
1749-1834Medallion of Sheffield surgeon William Staniforth
William Staniforth was on October 9th, 1749 to Samuel Staniforth and Mary Ash. He was baptised at the Non-Conformist, Upper Chapel on October 23rd, 1749.
William is notable for being amongst the first group of three surgeons at the Sheffield Royal Infirmary with Mr. Cheney and Mr. C.H Webb.
Samuel was also well known for his Oculists business named 'Staniforth's Eye Oitnment' and in 'Reminiscences of Old Sheffield: it's Streets and it's People', a book published in 1876, William is described as being 'The best operative surgeon and oculist in town'
On July 18th, 1782, he married Ann Camm at Sheffield St. Peter & St. Paul.
The couple had six children together:
- Samuel Herbert Staniforth (1800-1823), died in Paris, France.
- Mary Anne Staniforth
- Harriet Staniforth (died 1 July 1820)
- Anne Staniforth
- William Staniforth (1788-1835), Took after his father and worked as a surgeon.
- John Staniforth (1794-1848), Attorney At Law.
William lived on Castle Street, and was neighbours with his brother Samuel Staniforth (1747-1824), a linen draper.
He retired in 1819, and passed away on the 21st August 1833. He is buried in Attercliffe Hill Top Chapel.